Find a quiet place and work through these questions yourself, and/or work through them with a friend, family member, or your life group.
- “Pain serves a purpose: to get our attention.” Do you agree with this? Have you seen any benefit or purpose to pain in your life?
- We all have coping mechanisms to try to escape or numb our pain. What are some of your go-to methods for avoiding discomfort?
- What do you think would be a healthier way to deal with some of your pain or discomfort?
- Do you find yourself trying to get your identity through what you do (your work), what you’re doing right or wrong, or what other people think of you? How might those sources of identity prove to be unstable or unreliable?
- Who do you think God says you are? What do you think God thinks about you? How can you start to live from that belief?